Essential oils to support menstrual cycle
Did you know that research suggests that menstruation may be one of the reasons women live longer than men on average worldwide?
Okay that’s great… but how can we make that time of the month easier to bear when it hurts? Let’s face it, anything we can do to help is gold!
Let us know in the comments below what you find most helpful, we can all benefit from talking about this. But here are some of my suggestions for using essential oils which can be super helpful at this time.
The beautiful doTERRA ClaryCalm blend is aimed at supporting women during their menstrual cycle, helping to promote calm and balance. It can be diluted in a carrier oil and applied to your skin (during menstruation it can be soothing when applied onto your abdomen), or diffused.
ClaryCalm contains Clary Sage, Lavender, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood, Geranium, Fennel, Carrot Seed, Palmarosa, and Vitex.
The individual oils in the blend are included for their beneficial properties so let’s have a look at a few of them and their properties as related to menstruation. For more information on the ClaryCalm blend please see my previous post on Essential Oils for Fertility.
- Helps to support during menstrual cycle by promoting hormonal balance
- Is used for relieving PMS symptoms including headaches, cramps, food cravings, and emotional mood swings
- Can help with discomfort and spasms, so massaging a few drops in a carrier oil onto your abdomen might be soothing
- Can be diffused or a few drops added in your bath water to make a lovely relaxing bath
- Helpful for hormonal balance, relieving fluid retention and sore boobs!
- It has calming properties
- Try a few drops of geranium oil in a bath, or diffusing it
- Has anti-inflammatory, calming and pain relieving properties making it a perfect oil for this time of the month
- Beautiful Ylang Ylang helps lift and stabilise mood when feeling sad, stressed or tense
- With anti-spasmodic properties, it can help you to ditch the cramps
- Smells sweet, and has calming properties
- Used to support mood and can help ease bloating
Other oils which can support you at this time include:
- Used for its pain relieving properties, can work on those PMS cramps
- May give you a lift when you’re feeling tired
- Smells absolutely gorgeous, and can be diffused, applied topically in a carrier oil, or added to a bath
- Can help with anxious feelings or discomfort, and is widely used for bloating and menstrual cramps
- Has many qualities, but regarding menstrual concerns the two of particular note are its properties for
- Promoting calm
- Reducing inflammation, which can help to reduce pain and tender breasts
- Has properties which can help relieve pain, so may help with cramps
- Also used to boost energy
doTERRA have another stunning blend called Ice Blue (or Deep Blue for the Americans). This is designed to support you when you need relief from aching muscles after exercise or a long day! But diluting in a carrier oil and rubbing onto your lower back during your period can help reduce uncomfortable tummy cramps.
Let me know what works best for you in the comments below and let’s all help each other x
To buy doTERRA essential oils, click here.
And if you get excited about helping others, want to make a positive impact in the world, and are interested in the doTERRA business opportunity, you can find more on joining the Healthy Happy Life Community here.