Slow Cooker Series: Sweet Potato & Balsamic Stew
OK so technically this one is made in the Thermomix, but I’m including it in the slow cooker series as it can easily be done in a slow cooker as well! This is one of my husbands favourite dishes, which is good as it such a simple dish to throw together in the Thermomix or slow cooker. This is such a nourishing, hearty meal perfect for the Winter months!
What you need:
- 1 large onion (peeled and quartered)
- 1 clove garlic
- 30g coconut oil
- 500 grams chuck steak (cubed)
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato (chopped into 2cm chunks)
- 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 40g balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock concentrate
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 200 grams water
- 1 cup of peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Place onion and garlic in Thermomix bowl and chop for three seconds on Speed 7.
- Scrape down sides of bowl, add oil and cook for 3 minutes at 100 degrees on Speed 1.
- Add beef and cook for 5 minutes, varoma temperature, reverse, speed soft.
- Add carrots, sweet potato, balsamic, tomatoes, stock concentrate, water, thyme and seasoning.
- Cook for 60 minutes 100 degrees, reverse, speed soft.
- Add peas and cook for an additional five minutes 100 degrees, reverse, speed soft.
- Serve and enjoy with the family.
Please note: As peas are legumes some people on a paleo diet may wish to not eat them. Another option is to use chopped spinach in its place.
Check out more recipes over here on the blog.